In light of the tragedy in Ennis (Co. Clare) yesterday of the sad drowning of 2 teenagers, I thought it would be a good time to remind our young people about some water safety as the schools start to close ahead of the summer break.
If you’re heading to the Urlaur Lake for a swim, remember to go with friends, let your parents know roughly what time you’ll be home, if you get into difficulty call for help use the life ring and if needed call 112
- Beware of submerged objects. Always enter the water feet first.
- Cold water in lakes can be dangerous – it is often much colder beneath the surface than you think
- Do not play near the edge of riverbanks – they can crumble away suddenly
Where possible use a swimming pool, where lifeguards are on duty, we are blessed to have a lot of facilities close by and even more so that we have a pool in Kilmovee.
Here are some details of pools within a short walk, drive or cycle of Kilmovee:
Kilmovee Swimming Pool – No Information at this time (keep an eye on their FB and here on Kilmovee Info)
Health Quarters Leisure Centre Ballaghaderreen – No Information at this time
Castlerea Outdoor Swimming Pool – Opens 14th June – No further information
But of course you have to be sensible too when attending a pool, here are a few pool safety tips:
- Listen to the lifeguards
- Be careful not to dive into shallow water
- Check to see how deep the pool is
- If you are with younger children, watch out for them at all times
- Obey all the pool safety rules such as no running dives no horseplay
- Remember to check for others before entering the water
Please everyone lets stay safe around water and enjoy the summer sun!
If you work at any of the above (or at one we’ve not listed) facilities and would like to promote your lessons, and swimming times over the summer please email us on firstname.lastname@example.org or use the contact page