As part of the Seosamh Mac Gabhann Summer School (July 3rd – 8th ), a Heritage Tour will take place on Sunday, 3rd July. The tour which is open to the public and free to attend will commence at the ‘Cois Tine’ Heritage Centre in Kilmovee at 2pm.
This year’s tour will focus on events in East Mayo pre and post 1916 with our tour guide – local historian James Reddiough. The author of seven books, James wrote “The History of the East Mayo Brigade” in 2005. As part of his research, he spoke to people in Kilmovee who recalled activities post 1916 in the Kilmovee area and we will visit sites impacted during those troubled times.
The tour will also table the history of the song “Kilkelly Ireland”. This song was composed based on letters written by schoolmaster Pat McNamara in Urlaur over 100 years ago. Copies of these letters will be on display in Urlaur Community Centre. The final stop on the tour will include a visit to Pat McNamara’s grave at Urlaur Abbey.
The tour will finish at 5pm back at ‘Cois Tine’ Heritage Centre in Kilmovee with a ‘cupán tae’, some home-baking and maybe even a few tunes and songs. Bígí ann!